Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Monkey's Paw


One of the most memorable short stories I have read was The Monkey's Paw by W. W. Jacobs, (http://gaslight.mtroyal.ca/mnkyspaw.htm)
In it he speaks of a poor elderly couple in Britain and their son who receive a talisman that provides them with 3 wishes. The first is that they become rich. The next day a factory representative from the son's employer announces to the couple that their son has died and they are offered financial compensation for their loss. In grief one of them makes the second wish, that the son return. As they hear scraping and dragging sounds coming closer to their door, they are beside themselves in realization that their wish may bring more bad luck. The third, well, I think it's worth reading.

Monkey has become wary of my left hand. Recently he came to a conclusion that it was a threat. I don't understand why, but accept it, like plastic wrap and my iPhone that he attacks when he sees them. I keep my paw away from him while he sits on my lap. Patiently I have worked with him, showing him that it is but a part of me and loves him as much as the rest of my body. Unfortunately this did not work. Today he took a hard bite on my wrist as I was petting him. He almost pierced the skin and I now have a bruise on my wrist. I wish I understood his mind but instead I think of Travis the chimp in Stamford.

No comments:

Post a Comment