Friday, February 19, 2010

Sami and Monkey return


I thought I was moving to Hawaii last year. The birds would not be able to come with me and with deep sadness, I left them with my friend Adria. Their new home would be a room with a view of the river, sunlight streaming in and amongst many other avian creatures. But as I drove away from them my heart was broken and I cried deeply. I truly felt terrible.

After a long while, my grief subsided and as I grew accustomed to my new freedom, Adria told me she was moving and that I needed to take them back. I had not moved to Hawaii. Panic ensued, in having to once again care for more beings, and in particular two four-year olds that fly and will exist for another 20 years. I had just nursed my mother and husband during their dying process. This had taken 18 months. Significant remnants of emotional exhaustion still remained within me and the birds' return frightened me in that I may fall back in near paralyzing grief.

But ultimately they are my responsibility and they returned one night, about a week ago. They immediately remembered the house and me. They've been so happy that they've only bit me three times, twice to remind me of my abandonment and once to warn me of some threat unknown to me. I modified their living situation and my behavior. A foot long strip of moulding has already been chewed by Monkey. A winter in Connecticut can be long and lonely. But it isn't now. Their brilliance astounds me.

No comments:

Post a Comment